“He has told you O mortal what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your god?” Micah 6.8
Outreach means reaching out to others in service and support. The Mission Team plans and organizes our outreach efforts both nearby and across oceans. It takes lots of hands and a keen sense of justice and mercy to reach out to others in need. Talents of every kind are recruited for immediate work and long-term advocacy. Globally our commitments include actively supporting ELCA Global Mission; Lutheran World Hunger; and Lutheran World Relief. Locally, Luther Memorial supports the work of SU Lutheran Campus Ministry, CanTeen Youth Center, & Area Food Pantries...but there's much, much more! Efforts readjust as needs are recognized. Here are on-going opportunites supported during the year:
- Purchase twin sheet sets to go to Foster Families that take in relative children or KinGap (NYS Kinship Guardianship Assistance Program)
- FoodS of the Month supports the food pantry at Faith Lutheran Church, Cicero, along with other area organizations such as Interfaith Works which are providing free non-perishable food items to community families. Now more than ever, a small weekly donation on Luther Memorial's eye catching Food Pantry Table in the social hall can make a world of difference - make it a weekly habit.
- Join in our annual School supplies collection to benefit area school children
- Yes, it's back!! Support the annual Halloween Cupcake Bash at the CanTeen on Route 31 - cupcakes and sprinkles and weird candy eyes and green hair and gooey icing....what more could you ask for in the way of fun?!? Date pending.
- Assist in Sunday School (see Suzie)
- Assist with Advent Workshop (see Suzie)
- In the past we have been very involved with the Samaritan Center. Since COVID, volunteer opportunities are reworked and outside groups cooking & serving ceased. Luther Memorial members continue to seek out opportunities to support its service in the community. Visit the website to learn how.
- Bring in used ink and toner cartridges - we get $2 from Staples and that offsets administrative costs for church and newsletter
- Give blood and/or donate your time and/or bake cookies to help at the future blood drives @ church Red Cross
- Donate your gently used paperback books for the pleasure of the patients at the Syracuse VA
- Pop-tops from beverage and food products - recycled for cash to work in the world - save them and bring them in
- Write a note/make a call to a member you haven't seen in awhile
- Send a "thinking of you card" to anyone!
- Ask for a list of service personnel and write a note thanking them for their service
- Community clothing drives provide us opportunities to share (and clean out our closets!) A Win-Win!!
- to be continued - share your ideas to include..............